A Front Yard Gardener's Tales and Adventures

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Renee's Garden Nasturtiums

It's the beginning of April and the Nasturtiums are doing great. They are resilient and steadfast in their hopes of grabbing more sun. I am always amazed how fast nasturtiums grow. While some of my other plants haven't made it, the nasturtiums are thriving. They basically take care of themselves, curling around each other to support long (leggy) stems. I plan on starting some more outside and expect those to look very different than the ones I started inside (i.e. more bushy). I am growing the nasturtiums for three reasons: to be a part of this experiment, to eat the flowers in salads, and because I like growing plants that grow fast and spread. Julia, with her incredible and delicious cooking abilities, mentioned that she wants to candy edible flowers, nasturtiums included.


4 comments:

  1. Your nasturtium seedlings are looking great. I hope you'll post some photos of the candied nasturtium flowers if you get a chance.

    This project is already a lot of fun -- this is the first time I've read your blog, and I'll definitely be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope mine grow as fast as yours! I have never eaten a nasturtium but I will definitely try one this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are some fast growers aren't they? Once you get them outside you can pinch some of the stems to encourage them to bush out a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! It would be great to visit my site where you could find organic seeds gathered in the wild or from small local growths (heirloom).

    Maybe there is not big variety, but this is because all seeds are checked one by one, in order to ensure that they are natural organic with good germination. Tested and packed for 2012.

    http://www.allgreektome.net/7-organic-seeds

    ReplyDelete